Friday 9 March 2012

What is Journalism?

Well, it's two weeks into Uni life, and it's been ok so far. I haven't been lost, or arrived too late to anything, so I'm going to go ahead and call it a success.
I've loved all my courses, and setting up a Twitter account (officially making me a Twat...old joke, I know, but totally called for) and a blog was quite exciting. It's been interesting reading some blogs, and also my tute (T2) and the general idea that there isn't really a solid description for what journalism is. The Oxford Dictionary (online, because as if I would own a real dictionary) defines journalism as:

 the activity or profession of writing for newspapers or magazines or of broadcasting news on radio or television.

Well, if that's all it is, then I'm definitely NOT a journalist, which is contrary to the thoughts of some of my lecturers.  So, I guess the question is, is that all journalism is? That definition of journalism only covers the profession of journalism, or the act of being employed to write/broadcast for a media source, which gets me thinking, if that's journalism, what do we call the job that all the others do? The bloggers, the video bloggers, the tweeters, the students at UQ just beginning 3-4 years of learning how to be employed by a media source; what do we call what they do?
And then what about the volunteers? The writers of the school newsletter, the monthly car club leaflet, is that journalism? On a very local level, that isn't a lot different to a newspaper, albeit a very niche market newspaper.

I went over the PowerPoint presentation for week 1, and all the quotes that I assume Dr Bruce Redman found and put up there, they are all, with the exception of two, are talking about the job.
The other two are these:

Journalism is the first rough draft of history - Philip Graham, Publisher, Washington Post
Journalism is organised gossip - Edward Eggleston, American Historian/Novelist

So clearly, most people think of journalism as the job. Therefore, the only conclusion I can make is...I should be paid for this shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment