Monday 12 March 2012

Lecture #3, in a round-about fashion

So...I can't help feeling a bit peeved about today's lecture (which was on text). I'm hoping I missed the point of the lecture, and that it was actually very helpful, because otherwise I really did spend half of the lecture being told that words in every context are text. I know this fact already, because text means words.
Aside from that irritating piece of information, I did find the rest of the lecture quite interesting. I particularly like our guest lecturer Skye's depiction of text as fast, flexible and portable. In an world with an increasing focus on other media like pictures and video, where stereotypes suggest shorter attention spans due to a higher expectation for sensory stimulation ( The $100 Billion Market-Elissa Moses. P.44), it's nice to know text still dominates the online world.
I wonder how long that will last, though. Video blogs are one thing that spring to mind when I think of things that could replace text. At the moment, they many consist of people showing clips of people falling off bikes or dancing naked, and then making a witty remark about it, but is there potential for news or journalistic video blogs? I am willing to bet that it wont be long before there is a young-person-focused video news blog. And I bet they'll be rolling in the cash.

But I'm getting side-tracked. Back to the lecture topic.
I didn't know that very senior journalists write the tiny 3 to 5 word tab-like headlines at the top of The Australian newspaper. Imagine having that for a job?! Surely that's not all they do, though, right? Can you imagine the conversation? 'Oh, you're a journalist, what's a normal day for you?' 'Well, I write about 10 to 12 words a day...'
They obviously can't fit the inverted triangle we were taught today into those little tabs, and I wonder if they have a basic framework to help them. If you missed today's lecture (tut tut) the inverted triangle is a giant triangle upside down. It represents the way a reporter is supposed to structure his/her article. The most important things go at the top, so basically who, what, when, where, why and how, and then it goes down towards least important news. Pretty basic stuff, really.
Honestly, if the first thing you report about the AFL player Liam Jurrah machete attack story is that Hawthorn defeated Melbourne by 80 points, you deserve to fail.


No comments:

Post a Comment